Artichokes are at their best in Spring time. You can find them all year long frozen but you have to choose the best brand if you want to avoid sloppy cleaned artichokes, that’s why i prefer using fresh ones and clean up the ‘hairy’ part myself.
- 8-12 artichokes (depending on how many you want per dish)
- 2 carrots
- 2 cups of peas
- 2 potatoes cut in 4
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 dry onion chopped
- 1 fresh green onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove smashed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of 1-2 lemons and 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
If you want an egg-lemon sauce (optional):
- 2 teaspoons corn flour
- 1 egg
- juice of 1 lemon
- If you have fresh artichokes then you need to clean them and put them in water with lemon so that they don’t lose their color. I just remove the hard outer leaves and cut with a knife the surface, then i use a spoon to remove the fluffy part in the center.
- In a pot add the oil and saute the onions with the garlic. Then add all the vegetables and stir.
- Season with salt/pepper.
- Add 1.5 liters water and simmer for about 35-45 minutes until the artichokes are tender.
- 5 minutes before they are ready add the lemon and the dill.
- Optional, you could make an egg-lemon sauce instead: whisk the egg with the lemon and the corn flour, then add the hot broth from the pot little-by-little. Remove the pot from the heat and add the egg-lemon sauce.